Alaska Excursions

Alaska Excursions

A wide range of trips throughout Southcentral Alaska.

Iditarod 41

Photos and stories from the last great race.

Anchorage: 37°/55°/Partly cloudy

Fairbanks: 30°/54°/Mostly cloudy

Juneau: 34°/56°/Mostly cloudy

More weather

Alaska fishing licenses

Travel deals

More helpful fishing information

Fishing licenses

Where to get a fishing license.

Keep fish tasting fresh

You've spent hours knee-deep in your favorite stream landing some of the best-looking fish you've ever seen.

Dipnet fishing

A sunset lights up the Kasilof River while dozens of dipnetters work at catching red salmon July 13, 2008.

Dipnet fishing -- in which anglers standing on the bank or in the river hold large nets in hopes that salmon will swim into them -- is a privilege enjoyed by Alaska residents only, especially along the waters of Southcentral Alaska.

Fly-out fishing

Imagine a wild country of mountain ranges and unpeopled space, an enormous land sprawling more than 570,000 square miles -- or 365 million acres -- of temperate rain forests, northern boreal forests, taiga and tundra.

Don't forget your king salmon stamp

Alaska fishing and hunting licenses may be bought at tackle shops, sporting good stores and many grocery and convenience stores around the state. Licenses for fishing and hunting also may be purchased online.

Sport fishing regs
State sport fishing regulations are available online and in booklets given away in many stores.

Many of the salmon streams have off-limits areas to protect spawning areas, so read the rules carefully.

Watch for changing limits on the number of fish you can catch and have in possession.

Residency Q&A
Q: How long do I need to live in Alaska to be determined a resident?

Resident: Means a person (including an alien) who is physically present in Alaska with the intent to remain indefinitely and make a home here, who has maintained that person's domicile in Alaska for the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding this application for a license, and is not claiming residency or obtaining benefits under a claim of residency in another state, territory or country. A member of the military service or U.S. Coast Guard or their dependents who have been stationed in Alaska for the 12 consecutive months preceding the application can purchase a resident license.

Nonresident Military: A person on active duty permanently stationed in Alaska or their dependents.

Nonresident: A person who does not meet residency requirements as outlined above and is a resident of the United States; or an alien who has maintained a permanent place of abode in the United States.

Nonresident Alien: A person who is not a citizen of the United States nor has lived in the State of Alaska for the preceding 12 consecutive months.

For more information about this and other sport licensing and permit visit the ADFG website.

Fishing report & links
Weekly fishing report

Find out each weekend where the salmon are running and where the halibut, trout and grayling fishing is best. The Anchorage Daily News weekly fishing report covers the Anchorage area, the Kenai Peninsula, the Matanuska-Susitna valleys and Prince William Sound.

Fishing index page -- Overview of Alaska fishing.

Fishing Alaska's regions -- The major fishing areas in each region and what to catch there.

Alaska's fish species -- How and where to catch five species of salmon plus halibut, rainbow trout and 14 other species.

Helpful information -- Get your license, find a guide and send your fish home.

Resident fishing licenses cost $24 per year. Nonresident military personnel also pay $24 a year. Anglers under age 16 don't need a license.

Nonresident license fees
  1 day     3 days     7 days     14 days     1 year  
   $20    $35    $55    $80    $145

King salmon stamps

The cost of a king salmon stamp, needed for anyone trying to catch chinooks, costs $10 a year for a resident. People fishing for other species don't need to buy a king stamp.

In other words, a resident of Alaska can get a fishing license ($24) and a king stamp ($10) for a total of $34. A nonresident who buys a 7-day fishing license ($55) and a king stamp ($30) will pay $85.

alaska tour & travel

Career Center

Find Jobs

powered by CareerBuilder